Saturday, May 14, 2011

Worlds Away

Worlds Away
(30 paintings in 30 days project)
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2011 

sold

The first painting I did yesterday was a complete wiper!!! Big time. It stunk. I regrouped and did this one later at night, but was unable to get a photo, so here it is today. I painted it using a resource photo I took a few years ago on Mother's Day when I went for a walk along the river with my family. I painted a larger piece from the same photo which you can see here. It is basically that time of year right now and so the riverbank looks just as the photo does. Everything is kind of gray and muted, but a bit of green is beginning to show. What I love are the bushes or trees that have the most gorgeous red/purple branches, so even against nature's neutral palette are these stripes of beautiful colour. I'm not sure what they are- dogwoods maybe?

Anyway, my precious little 7 year old tried to make me feel better by saying that the first stinky painting was really good and one of his favorites. He couldn't convince me enough to make me think I should post it though!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Nicki..this makes me smile and feel warm inside. I love the colors you've chosen. So lovely!

Barbara Muir said...

Well this one is a hit, and I bet your 7 year old was right too.

Never mind. The artist has to be satisfied. That's the whole problem with being the artist. Super work.

XOBarbara

Nicki said...

Fantastic! Thank you Sheila!

Nicki



Hi Barbara,

This painting is waaaaaaaay better than the one before. Oh, the other one stunk. You couldn't smell it in Toronto???

Hugs,
Nicki