Sunday, May 15, 2011

Swift River

#17 - Swift River
(30 paintings in 30 days project)
6 x 6"
oil on board

Well, they can't all be winners. I'll get a better photo tomorrow- the colour is off on this one. I decided to post it, however, because I am excited... not necessarily about the painting, but about the experience. I went out to paint by the river at about 4:30 this afternoon. This was my first en plein air excursion of 2011! When I got to the riverbank I realized just how high and how fast the river is right now.


What used to be the river's edge is now flooded and water is swirling around the little trees and bushes. The sound of the water was amazing as it rushed by- what a treat to listen to as I painted.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Wow. Be careful -- we are hearing all the news about flooding. Another wonderful painting. If this keeps up I'm going to have to get a dictionary of superlatives.

Superb.

XOBarbara

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

The flooding in some areas is very scary. Luckily we are not at that point yet.

I don't know, this painting gave me trouble. I like it more in person and will hopefully get a better photo of the colours today. I painted on a Cad. Red ground and I feel that gave the painting an overall dark feel. Also, it looked way different in the bright intense sun than it did when I got it home. That's plein air for you, though!

XO Nicki