Monday, April 22, 2013

Late Day Drive North

Late Day Drive North
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2013

This was a fun experiment with colour and a bit of an abstraction experiment as well. I love the layers and transitions this sky goes through. For a while now I had been looking at the reference photo of this scene- I took the picture from the passenger seat driving to the lake last summer. I wondered how I would tackle it- especially since there were very obvious telephone posts in the photo and I was not interested in them as part of the subject. Finally I just decided to try it, not knowing how things would develop. As you can see I ended up eliminating the posts altogether; I took some artistic license as they say!

Flock and Gather was a great experience! What a terrific event the collective puts on. They really care about the details that make it a step above other markets. Whoever warned me that people would be lined up waiting for the doors to open was right- both Friday evening and Saturday morning this was the case.


 



I was really happy with how my new display boards worked out. They were quite pretty all set up. I would even make something like this to display my collection of little paintings on my wall at home. Best of all I met people who were familiar with my blog or Facebook page, so now I am able to put faces to names! It was a great opportunity to chat and laugh with friends- old and new.

Thank you to the Flock and Gather collective!



2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Beautiful painting and congratulations. I'm so glad that the event was good for you.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thank you dear Barbara!