New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

November 15 - December 31, 2017: Holiday Salon - Small Works Show at Darrell Bell Gallery (street level ), running through the holidays, Darrell and his team have installed a grid of twenty of my 8x8's as well as a small wall of larger pieces at the front of the gallery. Lots of great gift ideas to be found by the many gallery artists on display.

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Surrendering the Day

Surrendering the Day
6x6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2013


I was lucky enough to have a day at the studio today and I think I will enjoy that same privilege tomorrow. I did this little study and also worked on my commission. I've been wanting this large, commissioned painting to work so badly that I have paralyzed myself a little with the desire for excellence. To ease the anxiety I have been doing small studies and it is helping. As I painted today I realized that perhaps working at a large scale may actually make some elements easier, so I am going to shift my thinking and go with that!

When I left for lunch today to could hardly get out the door at the studio. Why, you ask? Well, the wind had blown a huge snow drift across the doorway and because the door swings out, I could only open it just enough to squeeze through (luckily). I had to bring a shovel to get back in after lunch! Crazy! Ahhhh, the joys of the first day of Spring in Saskatchewan!!!

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

I think it is actually easier to work in a larger size. This is beautiful. Nicki. You are such a good painter. I think of your work every day.

Enjoy your wonderful talent.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Barbara, you work large- almost larger than I can imagine, so I will assume you know and therefore fully make up my mind that my commission will be easier than the little study. :0)

Actually the commission is well under way. I think it looks good at this point...knock on wood!

XO Nicki