Thursday, December 13, 2012

Veil - The Bessborough

Veil - The Bessborough
8 x 8"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2012
available exclusively at Lifestyles by Darrell Bell Gallery

So far in my time as a painter I have had very little interest in subjects that include man-made objects. I am more interested in nature and wild spaces, but who knows, that may change. I certainly appreciate other artists that paint everyday scenes of life in the city... specifically Edward B. Gordon.

Earlier this year, after I took my kids to school in the morning, I was compelled to travel around the riverbank and take photos of the foggy morning. It was so pretty! There was this soft, low veil over the city. I realized that I was quite intrigued by this diffused light caused by the fog and suddenly the strong lines of buildings, bridges and other man-made things seemed more appealing. This painting is of the riverbank and the Delta Bessborough Hotel in downtown Saskatoon.

No comments: