New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Art Show Eve and Some Tweaks



This is where I'll be tomorrow and I am getting excited! For those that are not familiar, the Forestry Farm Park is home to a beautiful picnic area with a fishing pond and a fantastic new playground. There are many trails to bike or walk, there is a small butterfly sanctuary and also beautiful (and I mean beautiful), peaceful Japanese-style garden. As if that wasn't enough, Saskatoon's zoo is located at the Forestry Farm and I hear there are two new little lion cubs this spring! It is a great way to spend several hours with family and friends.

The art show and sale is in the historical Superintendent's house; I will have my 30 daily paintings there with a few larger pieces. There will be eight other local artists besides me, one of whom is the spectacularly talented fibre artist Monika Kinner-Whalen.

I spent some time in the last couple of days tweaking four of the daily paintings that I was not 100% happy with- I knew exactly what I wanted to change...

   
The first one is the new version of #20- Good Night Sun. I added more branches, toned down that yellow background and added depth to it, and darkened some areas of the hill. (sold)



On the left is the revised version of #21- Waterlogged. The treeline bugged me- it looked like it was dropping off in an odd way on the left side, so I brought the trees up into the sky a bit more. 


The revision of #27- Loom is mostly in the colour of the water. I like the blue more than the green. I also tweaked the clouds a bit.


Finally, I thought the tree on the hill in #28- Unmade Beds and Buttercups was too dark and imposing, so I softened it and brought the Wolf Willow a bit higher. There were a few other small changes here and there throughout.

I'll post some pictures of my set-up at the art show tomorrow evening. My fingers are crossed for good weather.

2 comments:

Monika Kinner-Whalen / My Sweet Prairie said...

Good eye! I love how you changed them!! : )

I'm excited too! Hey thanks for the mention : ) I hope I am not too close to your work or I might end up falling for a few and needing to buy & take home...
like that last one...

: )
~Monika
also wondering about the weather / wind.

Nicki said...

Thanks Monika!

It looks pretty chilly out there right now... but no rain, so fingers crossed! See you soon,

Nicki