Thursday, May 10, 2018

Graphite Sky

Graphite Sky
36 x 36"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2018
available

Here is one of my BIG announcements!!!

About three and a half weeks ago Darrell Bell asked if I would paint something specifically for the next show he was putting together for the gallery, the theme being black and white.

Um... yes!

I delivered the work on Saturday and the show was installed on Wednesday with a Happy Hour reception planned for Friday from 4-6 p.m.! I can't wait to see the finished product. It is going to be a sleek, minimal and modern show and I am thrilled to have been asked to create something! Darrell also created a painting and the rest of the show is pulled from the stunning inventory at his gallery. The group of artists in this show is diverse and stellar, I find myself thrilled and shocked to be among them. I have definitely had a few "I'm not worthy" moments. I mean look at this list: 

Michael Batty, Darrell Bell, Ronald Bloor, Stanley Brunst, Vicki Christou, Tod Emel, Michael Hosaluk, Ernest Lindner, Zachari Logan, Trevor McDonald, Jackie Miller, John Noestheden, Alison Norlen, Laura Payne, Adrian Stimson, Dave Stonhouse, David Thauberger, Mark Totan

Pinch me, I might be dreaming! (And I am tired enough that I actually really might be!)

I really love the painting I produced. It shows much better in person due to the subtle touches of colour that add to the overall atmosphere, like pale violets and blues at the horizon and pale, dusty yellows where the sun glows behind the clouds. One of my favourite elements is the dark stripe of black across the field. I feel like this painting has a very modern touch and would look great in just the right sleek and well designed space. 

I copied this invitation from Darrell Bell Gallery's Facebook post:

As a side note, I think that is my all-time favourite David Thauberger painting.

I will be dropping by the Happy Hour to enjoy the cocktails and snacks and, of course, the art! Come if you can!

1 comment:

CallingForth said...

It is lovely Nicki!!