Monday, February 29, 2016

Burning Sky, Waskesiu

Burning Sky, Waskesiu
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2016

I spent half the day at the studio yesterday and it felt great. I didn't get there once last week, things just kept coming up. Anyway, I tackled some odd jobs including painting a bunch of edges on my 6 x 6's and signing and dating some of them. Wanting to start an under-painting on a big canvas with my acrylics, I cracked open my stay-wet palette and got a shock with what I found! 

EEK! They aren't kidding when they say the palette stays wet... it also stays very dark when sealed up- a bit of a problematic combination for extended periods! I had quite the culture growing. Thankfully someone at the studio had a jug of bleach in the cupboard so I soaked the sponge like there was no tomorrow. After that diversion I was able to focus and get a bit of a composition sketched out on a 40 x 36 canvas. I'm ready to start a painting of the Kingsmere River in Prince Albert National Park.


It doesn't look like much, but it makes sense to me.

I capped the day off by painting "Burning Sky, Waskesiu" while sipping my coffee and listening to some great music. I left feeling centered and motivated.

No comments: