Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Missing Emma

Missing Emma
6 x 6"
oil on board

I went through a sad patch a week or so ago, thinking about Emma Lake and the Kenderdine Campus. I've been avoiding my resource photos from that area because looking at them just bummed me out. I often go to paint at the studio on the last Friday of the month and when I was there at the end of April I decided to plunge into the looming sadness and just feel it all. I looked through my photos and ended up painting this scene of Fairy Island at dusk.

The Kenderdine Campus should be opening in a couple of weeks and by now I would have registered for whichever class I might have decided to take... or maybe this would have been the year that I finally would have mustered the guts up to apply for the two week Artists' Workshop. In the end it is closed and not likely to open for three years, if the University of Saskatchewan ever even opens it again.

The Canoeski trip, "Canoeing and Painting in the Wild" will be a nice diversion and at least gives me an adventure to look forward to this summer, but nothing can take the place of Emma.

For information on The Emma Lake Kenderdine Campus please visit Keep Kenderdine.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

You are so amazing. No wonder you're missing it. This is gorgeous.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thanks you dear Barbara! I have to fill the void this summer someway, somehow.

XO N.