Monday, May 13, 2013

Chartreuse Beam

Chartreuse Beam
6x6"
oil on board

I'm still missing Emma for a variety of reasons, too many to list fully. I'm sad about what I am missing out on this summer- things that were supposed to happen that now won't, things I wanted to continue but now can't, painting excursions, new challenges, new risks, new connections- the next chapter in a story. I feel like it all came to a screeching halt last fall when I found out this magnificent place, the Emma Lake Kenderdine Campus, would be closed for three years while the University of Saskatchewan reviewed its future. I'm miffed. And I'm being dramatic, but that's the mood I'm in.

Anyway, this beautiful campus sits on about 20 acres of pristine Boreal forest- old growth forest- about two hours north of Saskatoon. While in this missing mode I am trying to push myself to paint images from that area... if I am sad I can still try to make something good come of it. 

It makes me happy when a strong sun beam finds its way through the thick, cool forest and lights up a patch of the ground. The carpet of moss glows and radiates chartreuse... one of my favorite colours. The tangle of branches hover above, pointing out this beauty and all I want to do is go lay down on its softness.

I love it. I miss it.

2 comments:

suzanneberry said...

how frustrating! i'm so sorry. i can see why it meant so much to you. can't they review it's future and keep it open at the same time?? i'm so sorry for you my friend.

your painting is rich and bold! i hope there will be something in your future to somehow fill the emptiness it's closing had created for you. take care.

Nicki said...

It is extremely frustrating Suzanne. Thanks for your sympathy! :) I think they closed for three years due to their projected budget deficit, although in the big scheme of their finances, what they are saving by having it closed is rather insignificant. I'm just afraid it won't re-open.

It's so good to hear from you. I wish we could go for coffee!!!

Nicki