Saturday, May 18, 2013

Golden

Golden
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2013
sold


In May, for the last couple of years, I have done a daily painting project and then taken the paintings to the Friends of the Forestry Farm House Spring Art Show and Sale. I have a table at the show again this year, but my heart was just not into the daily painting project. Other things are distracting me and as a result I was dreading the project. Not good. Then one day in April as I was hesitatingly calculating when I should start the thirty paintings in thirty days project, I realized that no one was putting pressure on me but myself! Light-bulb!!! I am my own boss! Whew! So I have just been painting 6x6's when I feel like it. Instead of using my huge portable wall that holds thirty paintings I will take my new, smaller display system to the art show. The pressure is off and the stress level is down.

I painted this painting after I made that decision and I felt happy the entire time. I love that golden moment of the day when the heat of the setting sun is slowly being replaced by the cool blues of the night.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

How wonderful. I love the painting, and the internal debate. I think as artists we are up and down with this kind of thing all the time. In the end I think Vincent van Gogh, Mary Pratt, Mary Cassatt -- did they make themselves paint a painting every day?
No!

I think when we share this kind of internal debate we free all the rest of us going through the same
issues. Brava Nicki!

XOXO Barbara

Monika Kinner-Whalen (MySweetPrairie) said...

I love the swoosh in that. : )

I was feeling the same way. I don't have a booth there this year as I didn't have time. I may be there demoing & I'll being a couple things along... we'll see. I'll come and say hi if I go!
YOU TELL ME - we need an artist's date before school is out! It's coming soon... Are you wanting to get photos, or would you like to have coffee? You are welcome here at my place this week. Mind the mess.

~Monika
979-3519