Monday, May 27, 2013

Bargue Drawing - Stage Four

Bargue drawing, stage four

I cannot say enough about the drawing class I am taking. I have learned so much in such a short period of time. I think we have finished four classes and I was worried I would get a bit impatient with the process, but I haven't been at all. I feel so excited about learning these old master techniques and I really believe I will be so much more skilled when I complete this module and the ones to come.

We are working on Bargue drawings (based on Charles Bargue's lessons of old masters' skills and techniques); I just completed stage four which involved rendering the darkest shadow areas more fully. I learned the importance of edges, the airplane stroke and how to get a nice crisp, clean contour. At this point I have also worked in some of the reflected light into the shadow. The photo isn't the greatest because the shadow area in the actual drawing is darker in reality... though I may still have to darken it up a bit more. So far all the work has been done using a 2B pencil, but this week for stage five when we start working on the mid-value areas it will be time to bring out the HB pencil.  

Bargue drawing, stage three:
image transferred to Stonehenge paper 
and mid-dark values rendered

Bargue drawing, stage two
(totally didn't think to take a photo of stage one)

Tonight I ordered the book recommended by my instructor, Craig Berry, and which I recall one of my favorite painters, Edward B. Gordon, recommending at one time. The plates used for our exercises are from this book. The Canadian Amazon site has a really good price on this book right now:


I think I will do more Bargue drawings on my own time, so as to really make sure I have a grasp on things.

4 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Good work Nicki,

Fascinating process.

XO Barbara

Anonymous said...

Nice, thanks. It also looks like Dover are reissuing the Bargue book next year according to this page (amazon uk): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charles-Bargue-Drawing-Course-Instruction/dp/0486493873/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1369901238&sr=8-4&keywords=charles+bargue

Nicki said...

Thanks Barbara. XO

N.

Nicki said...

Thanks for the link!