New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Sunday, November 19, 2017: Studio on 20th Open Studio Art Show and Sale. The studio where I paint will be open to the public from 11 am - 5 pm on this one afternoon only. Current work by our eleven artists will be exhibited and available to purchase. Please come and bring a friend! We are located at 236A 20th Street West (door to the left of the Odd Couple restaurant); not wheelchair accessible.

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Bloom

Bloom
20 x 16"
acrylic on wood panel
© Nicki Ault, 2014

Well, the playing and experimenting continues. Who knows what's happening really, but it's fun! And I am not feeling pressured that these boards turn out; they aren't expensive so why not use them to experiment? I went in search of options and the boards were suggested to me at Hues Art Supply, along with Terra Skin paper which I have waiting for me at the studio. I left this board raw- I only sanded the surface; no gesso, no nothin'. Because there was no sealant on the board, the paint soaked in initially until some layers built up. I don't mind the muted or dulled effect of the absorbed paint where the layers aren't as thick; it helps the colour pop in other areas. This is more noticeable in person. A friend told me (in a nice way- a friendly critique) that the last abstract painting I posted ("Sometimes I Despair") didn't have enough colour, so guess what? Ba- BAM! Here's some colour!

I really like this painting as a one inch thumbnail photo, however as the image size increases I become less and less sure! I'll show my experiments on the blog whether or not they are resounding successes, but I won't waste your time with the complete and utter failures. You've got better things to do.

2 comments:

Bernie said...

It seems a far departure from your "ordinary" work but that doesn't make it bad. It certainly has colour -- in fact it would look awesome as fabric cut up into little squares In a quilt because of all the colours

Nicki said...

Hi Bernie, yes indeed, it is a far departure, but that is what is making the idea of experimenting so fun. And I am discovering that abstracts are hard to pull off!