Thursday, June 26, 2014

Meewasin Study #3

Meewasin Study #3
6 x 6"
oil on board

The studies continue... and therefore so does the procrastination! I spent a good deal of time looking at the large canvas today, sighing, walking away and drinking water. Maybe if I had something a bit stiffer than water to drink I might have actually put some paint on the thing! Never-the-less a lot of thinking is taking place as I do these studies... where is the focal point going to be? Where are the light and dark shapes? Is there a nice balance to the composition? Is there flow to it all? Hmmm... it is all very Bargue related. Funny that. I am ever-so-slightly shocked and ashamed to say that, in the past, I didn't give a great deal of thought to these things. Mostly I just painted from my gut - which I still want to do, but with a more refined, thoughtful approach. 

So I ask you... is it possible to paint from a place of passion and intuition, but also from a place of thoughtful contemplation? Can a painting be both planned and impulsive?

4 comments:

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Yes yes yes! :)

Barbara Muir said...

Yep. I think it's too bad that you are worried at all. It is still just a painting. If it doesn't work the first time, you start over. It's on canvas right? Canvas can be cleaned off. The other training needs to get out of the way and let the great Nicki Ault go to work intuitively. Plan scram.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

I'm glad you think so Monika!

Nicki said...

Good advice Barbara. You are wise, friend. :)

Nicki XO