Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Cloud, Georgian Bay

 
Cloud, Georgian Bay
8 x 8"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2013
available exclusively at Lifestyles By Darrell Bell Gallery
sold 

Even though I have now flown over Georgian Bay and seen its magnitude from the sky as well as physically driven around the area, I still have trouble fathoming its size. It is huge! And it is just a bay off an even larger lake! My experience with lakes is that you can see the far shore in the distance. In this case I felt as though I was looking out to the ocean where all you see is water and sky. Some late afternoons were hazy so the horizon line was soft and vague. It was like that the evening I sat out to paint this scene. Initially the painting was a yawner because the plan I had of abstracting the bands of colour of water and sky just did not translate. Oh my, it was boring!!! The solution... create an interesting cloud based the ones I saw at sunset on my first day there which contained lots of pink. I also tried to get some movement happening in the water. Voila- a less boring painting!

No comments: