Thursday, October 31, 2013

Fall On Georgian Bay

Fall On Georgian Bay
8 x 8"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2013
available exclusively at Lifestyles By Darrell Bell Gallery
sold

Things have been ridiculously busy since I got home from my trip- all very good things but I feel like I haven't stopped moving for a minute, other than sleep (and even that has been a bit fitful). I have just embarked on home renovations and while I am not doing a complete gut-job of the kitchen, it is certainly chaotic and torn apart. I am keeping my eye on the prize and know I will love all of the changes when they are complete.

My trip was amazing- six days of focused painting and creativity. When a person has that kind of time at their disposal it is shocking how much work can get done and how much can be learned so quickly. I came home with the following inventory of completed paintings: six 30 x 30", two 18 x 24", five 6 x 6", five 8 x 10" and four 8 x 8"! I felt that I grew while I tackled new subject matter; I noticed myself studying the light differently and thinking about how to convey forms through value and colour. I attribute this to my drawing and Colour Theory classes.

We were in the Owen Sound area of Georgian Bay, so on the south end, and the Maple trees were not as abundant as I anticipated, nor were the scraggly, wind-blown trees. I spent time the first day or two absorbing my surroundings and trying to get feel for the place. I was quiet and in my head, so it is entirely possible that Bridget and Jackie thought something was wrong. Looking back now I realize I was trying to find a connection; to find inspiration. It finally came to me in the form of red Sumac's, rocky shores and big boulders! I could feel the energy build within me after that. I am extremely happy with some of the work... especially a couple of the 30 x 30's. They felt fantastic to paint. I hope I can continue to tap into that energy to create a few more large pieces.

I am on the look-out for a new studio space as our building has been sold and we need to be out of our current location at the end of November. If you are in Saskatoon and know of any suitable and available buildings, I would appreciate the leads. Thanks!

No comments: