New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Sunday, November 19, 2017: Studio on 20th Open Studio Art Show and Sale. The studio where I paint will be open to the public from 11 am - 5 pm on this one afternoon only. Current work by our eleven artists will be exhibited and available to purchase. Please come and bring a friend! We are located at 236A 20th Street West (door to the left of the Odd Couple restaurant); not wheelchair accessible.

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Friday, October 18, 2013

I Heart Georgian Bay


I am home from my once-in-a-lifetime trip to Georgian Bay, Ontario. It was an intense, art-filled journey and I tried to savour each unique moment. I got off to a bit of a rocky start- I was intimidated at the outset when I saw how prolific my travel partners had been before I got there; they had filled canvas upon canvas and board upon board. Also, the landscape was not as I had imagined- forests of red Maple were not abundant nor were weather-beaten trees jutting out of craggily rocks. I had to refocus my game-plan before I even started! What I had envisioned in my mind's eye was probably more in line with what is found further north in the Algonquin region. I definitely had my heart set on painting images that were authentic to the area and not like what might be found at home. Initially all I could see was farmland and birch forests, so I panicked- that was not what I came cross-country to paint! I had to have a little talk with myself and get on board with the elements of the landscape that were presented to me; I had to make a connection to something or I would be in big trouble! In the end I found great inspiration in the gorgeous red Sumacs as well as the rocks and boulders on the shores and in the forests. I also found inspiration in the rapids and waterfalls which I hope will make their way to canvas soon.

I could write volumes, but it is more fun to look at pictures, so here are some of my favorites... all images © Nicki Ault.

 





 our most excellent make-shift studio

 I like this picture- it looks like I am having 
a light bulb moment!

 




 Jackie's canvas makes a good fire!


 Tom Thomson Art Gallery, Owen Sound



me and a random dog


 

a precariously placed Inukshuk

 
 Lake Huron




 I wiped and restarted this painting approximately five times
and then it still only seemed best suited to the dart board




1 comment:

Kim Rempel said...

This looks SUPER cool. You had the perfect attitude. The pieces - from what I can see of them - look dynamic. Exciting Nicki! Gorgeous photos. How did people get that Inukshuk THERE? : )