Friday, November 22, 2013

A Grand Welcome, Georgian Bay

A Grand Welcome, Georgian Bay
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2013
sold

After a long day of travel from Saskatoon to Toronto, Bridget and Jackie picked me up and we drove to Kleinburg (where we went to the McMichael Gallery to see the Group of Seven work) and then on to Georgian Bay. It was evening as we made our way through Owen Sound and around the south part of the bay to the cottage. All the while the sun was setting in the most spectacular way. The clouds were completely illuminated by brilliant pinks- it was a grand welcome indeed. 

After we ate and I saw the work my travel mates had already produced before my arrival I was excited, if not somewhat intimidated, to start painting. I decided to play with the idea of the pink clouds that lead me to my home for the next week and the above is what materialized.

2 comments:

Linda Popple said...

Beautiful! The clouds are not only full of color, but volume as well.

Nicki said...

Thank you Linda! Nice to hear from you.