Thursday, February 16, 2012

September Mood Near Kapasiwin

September Mood Near Kapasiwin
30 x 60"
oil on canvas
©Nicki Ault, 2012 
sold

Above is my newest and largest painting to date and with it comes an announcement...

This morning I hung "September Mood Near Kapasiwin" and 9 other pieces at O'Reilly Insurance in Saskatoon. They recently renovated and doubled their office space and Declan O'Reilly had a vision of using the beautiful new reception area and hall as an art gallery of sorts to feature local artists. Declan is my son's (amazing) soccer coach and when I invited him to the Open Studio last November he was taken aback. I was a bit puzzled by his reaction, but up until then he didn't know I was an artist and I didn't know he had been pondering the use of his renovated walls as an art space! As such, two worlds collided. I'm grateful he liked my art enough that he not only wanted to show it on his walls, but he wanted me to be the artist to kick off this venture for him. I will have more details to follow... we are taking baby steps with this and he wants it all done right. The plan is to have a closing reception in approximately eight weeks, but if you are in the Erindale area please stop in and have a look... O'Reilly Insurance, 101-407 Ludlow St.



 As a side note, Kapasiwin is a beautiful area where cabins can be rented. It is on the way to the Waksesiu River and the Marina . If I had a longer canvas the cabins and quaint resort area would be found further to the right of the grassy hill in this painting.

*This is a big one. I tried to enlarge it for this post, but the next size up doesn't fit within the post perimeters. If you click on it you will see it in a light box and it should be larger.

6 comments:

-Don said...

Congratulations on all fronts, Nicki! Your painting is quite lovely and looks wonderful hanging at O'Reilly's, as do all your other paintings. I wish I was close enough to drive over to see them all. They really class up the place.

Here's to world collisions!

-Don

Monika Kinner-Whalen (MySweetPrairie) said...

NINE! Holy toledo - and they are all big tto! woah.

Congratulations!

How many display boards do you have at Gardenscape?

Nicki said...

Thanks Don... I wish you were close enough too!

Nicki said...

Hi Monika... yes, the work I hung today is all quite large. I will have one "wall" at Gardenscape and I am planning to only put my smaller work there. And thanks for all your tips!

Anonymous said...

congratulations on the space Nicki! Your paintings look wonderful there and I love the themes of your paintings, so soulful.
i notice in your previous post that you have recently bought the book 'seeing is forgetting the name of the thing one sees' and just wondered how you have found it?

Nicki said...

Thank you Rahina, that's a nice compliment... soulful.

I have just begun the book... very easy to read so far. It is thirty years of conversations with Robert Irwin... and it really is written like a transcribed conversation. I haven't reached much art talk yet...

I'll keep you posted.

Nicki