New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Sunday, November 19, 2017: Studio on 20th Open Studio Art Show and Sale. The studio where I paint will be open to the public from 11 am - 5 pm on this one afternoon only. Current work by our eleven artists will be exhibited and available to purchase. Please come and bring a friend! We are located at 236A 20th Street West (door to the left of the Odd Couple restaurant); not wheelchair accessible.

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Monday, February 27, 2012

Afterglow

Afterglow
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2012
sold

I spent Friday night on a date... with myself... at the studio. It's a wild and crazy life I lead. I worked on a monster of a painting for a little bit. It's a monster because it is large and it has a big, crazy, branchy Dogwood right there on the whole canvas... right in your face. It has been a hard one to tame and a monster for that reason, too. It is basically the way I wanted it to be composition-wise, but I'm not sure it's working. It seemed like a good idea in my head. It could just end up being a monstrosity! Time will tell and I hope it ends up being something I want to share with you.

Anyhoo, after I mucked around with the "monster" I found a photo of glowing clouds at sunset that I took last spring. About 5 hours later "Afterglow" emerged.

6 comments:

Barbara M. said...

Afterglow is beautiful. Mmmm Hmmm. Quit calling your painting a monster.
You're hurting its feelings. Come on now. Patience. You did exactly the right thing, moved away from one brilliant painting to produce another.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

I didn't necessarily mean "monster" in a negative way... it's kind of like a monster from Sesame Street!

:o)

Nicki XO

Nora MacPhail said...

Wow! That is a magnificent sky. Gorgeous.

Nicki said...

Thank you so much Nora! Nice to meet you!

-Don said...

Wow, Nicki! I don't know how I missed this before. This absolutely glows. I love it!

-Don

Nicki said...

Thanks Don! I like it too... and it's going to an auction this weekend, so hopefully it will catch someone's eye.

Nicki