New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

November 15 - December 31, 2017: Holiday Salon - Small Works Show at Darrell Bell Gallery (street level ), running through the holidays, Darrell and his team have installed a grid of twenty of my 8x8's as well as a small wall of larger pieces at the front of the gallery. Lots of great gift ideas to be found by the many gallery artists on display.

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Feelin' Sketchy Saturday

 25 minute sketch
charcoal and pastel

 2 minute gestures

 2 minute gestures

 20 minute sketch
charcoal and pastel

10 minute contour drawing
pencil

20 minute sketch
graphite and pastel

The drop-in drawing session today was fun, although I left early because of a headache. I sat in a similar place this week (facing the windows), so still battled back-light issues on the model. I used my white pastel more sparingly just to show the bright highlights (and some reflected light) on the body. I enjoy the difference between the contour drawing and the sketch I did of the same pose. The arm coming towards me was quite foreshortened (dramatically so in the contour drawing- he he) and offered a challenge as did the line of her torso. The man sitting beside me happened to be the instructor of the drawing class I took last summer. I said something about our angle being a challenge and he told me to think of it as a landscape. Humph. Helpful!

I am very excited because I have ordered some new art books and they should be here soon. One is called "Art Models 6: The Female Figure in Shadow and Light" by Maureen Johnson. A girl probably should have started with book #1, but #6 looked so good! Anyway, even though it is not as good as a live model, I will have some images to work from at home now and I will be able to work on a pose for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time.

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Barbara M. said...

Hi Nicki,

These are wonderful. I am impressed. It seems like each week there is some new thing that emerges in your drawing. Super. You are such a talented artist.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Barbara, thank you for saying such things! I am not sure I see things changing, but I am glad if you do. Yay!

Nicki XO

Kim Rempel said...

Okay - love that you do these figure drawings Nicki! What a great opportunity. Something I miss. And when I see contour drawings..well, they're one of my favourite things. They just seem so fresh. Nice job.

Nicki said...

Thanks, Kim. I'm glad I heard about these drop-in sessions. It's been a good thing.

N.