Monday, October 17, 2011

Waskesiu Sky in a Showcase

Waskesiu Sky
10 x 10"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2011  

sold

I showed you this piece earlier this year, but I am posting it again because today I delivered it to the Mendel Art Gallery for their annual Member's Showcase. I am somewhat embarrassed to say that this is my first year as a member, but better late than never. Members were allowed to submit up to two pieces, so I also took "Protected Prairie". I am planning to attend the opening reception on Friday night and if you are in Saskatoon you should too! It is from 7-9 p.m. at the Mendel and I'm sure there will be a wide variety of work to view... and purchase, of course. A commission from the sales will go towards acquisitions for the gallery's permanent collection.


I'm quite happy with the framing I had done for "Waskesiu Sky". It was a small fortune, but I really wanted to try something different to help make this piece stand out. (The photo of the framing is way off in colour, but you get the idea). The "matte" has a beveled edge and is housed in a white box; both are painted a crisp, fresh white. The canvas is set inside and is floating on a recessed board painted dark charcoal. I think it looks really clean and modern.

Update: I promise to show you "Old Friend" very soon. I just received a helpful critique from Carol Wylie, who is a new member of the studio where I paint. I tweaked it yesterday and when I looked at it today, I felt that, in fact, it just may be finished. I am hoping for an overcast sky tomorrow so I can take a good photo. Today was as clear as clear can be, so it didn't happen.

6 comments:

Kim Rempel said...

Gorgeous! I just love all that drama!

Nicki said...

Yes, drama can be good- especially in art... not so much with kids at school!

;o) Nicki

Anonymous said...

wishing you all the best at the show.... and love how you have framed this!

Nicki said...

Thank you Rahina. And I'm pleased to hear that you like the framing, too.

Mikko Tyllinen said...

Fantastic sky! Very beautiful! so powerful painting!

Nicki said...

Mikko, I am so pleased you enjoy Waskesiu Sky. Thank you.