Sunday, September 25, 2011

Protected Prairie (revised)

Protected Prairie
(revised)
24 x 24"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2011  

private collection
 
I had a great day at Agar's yesterday. It was busy right from the get-go! This painting got a lot of attention; it was one of the few large pieces I brought. I really love it. It may look familiar and that is because it is a revision of a painting I have shown before. After I posted the original version I received an email from a new friend (who is an artist) who was kind and brave enough to speak up. He offered a gentle critique and suggested that the lower half didn't quite fit with the top half. I studied it some more at the studio and saw exactly what he meant. It was so clear I wondered how on earth I hadn't seen it myself. I really appreciate him for helping me take this painting to another level. I am so excited about the final result, I am actually giddy!

© Nicki Ault, 2011 

This is what it looked like before. Now when I look at it in it's previous state it seems so unfinished. I also decided to soften the colour of the sky to make it recede more and not compete with the colours of the treeline.

I stopped at the Saskatoon Natural Grasslands on my way back from Waskesiu last weekend and took a bunch of photos that I can hardly wait to get started on. I am full-on lovin' the wild prairies right now and will have more work to show you soon.

6 comments:

Kim Rempel said...

Wow - you really did bring it to the next level. It's awesome - no wonder it got attention. I see what you mean about the bottom piece - again - it's that thing about our own eyes! I can really "feel" your prairie grasses. Did you go back to the field to paint or work from photos? Because it really rings true. Excellent.

Judy Wood said...

You were a wonderful addition to the show. Hope someone who was there decides they can't live without this one and gets in touch. What an amazing difference between the two versions.

-Don said...

Well, I'm giddy with you! Outstanding job, Nicki! I think you made all the right decisions on your revision. I'm sure it got a lot of attention since it definitely deserves it.

-Don

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

A gorgeous painting. I'm sure I liked it at first, and like it even more now.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thank you so much for your words, Kim. As I read your blog about this same subject I felt like I was not alone! It is crazy how we can be so close to our work that sometimes we can't see.

I reworked it at the studio and actually didn't really use my reference photos. There wasn't any Wolf Willow in the foreground of them except for that sprig I had in the original version. It needed more, so I just focused on making the painting work.

Nicki said...

Thank you so much, Judy. It was a great event thanks to your amazing organizational skills. Truly, you put together a great show and I am honoured you invited me.

It would be great if I got a call back on this one. I'm sure happy with it.
-Nicki


Don, I am pleased you and your masterful eye agree with the changes I made. You are a good barometer and I appreciate your supportive giddyness! (is that a word?)

Nicki



Barbara, thanks! I thought it was good before, too, but now, happily, I think it is REALLY good... so that feels.... well, good!

XO Nicki