Monday, July 26, 2010

Fall Show

Fall Show
20x16
oil on canvas
(unfinished)

I started this last week at the studio and today went in for a third session. I didn't use as limited a palette as I did in the previous post, but I did try to keep my colours pared down. I definitely understand what oil painters mean when they say they will go back in and sharpen edges after the piece has dried a bit. Today I was able to do just that, but by the end of a few hours it was all wet again... and some areas were really thick with paint, so before making more mud, I packed it in and I will continue in a week or so. For this one I am using a photo I took last fall standing with my back to the river and looking at the glorious show provided by the trees and grasses.


So my two little paintings, "Shady River" and "Over The Point" have arrived in their new home! They are cozied up by the fire in a beautiful 300 year old English cottage and the new owner even sent me two pictures to include on my blog! How fun is that? Thank you R. for making this such an enjoyable transaction!

5 comments:

Judy Adamson said...

I really like your 'Fall Show' just as it is! Paintings of Autumn colours can often turn out 'chocolate-box-y' but you've avoided that and I think it's the white of the tree-trunks that has lifted it.

Melanie Statnick said...

what a pretty place

Nicki said...

Thanks or stopping by, Judy, and for leaving such a kind comment. I think I may work on it a bit more- I like it more in person than in the photo, but I still see some areas I would like to tweak. It's funny that you mention the white birch trees. Once I added them in it really changed the feeling of the painting and I like them too.

Take care,

Nicki

P.S. I found your post on Tweeting very interesting.


Thank you Melanie. The riverbank in my city is truly a beautiful place.

:) Nicki

-Don said...

Your paintings compliment their new home perfectly. Congrats on the sale!

Fall Show is coming along nicely. I like the colors and the composition you have going. I'll be watching to see what kind of tweaks you'll be making. Have fun!

-Don

Nicki said...

Hi Don,

Thanks so much. I'm curious about this one and how it will turn out too!!!

Nicki