Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Break In The Clouds- A Break For Me!

A Break In The Clouds
7x7"
oil on canvas
Sold

Three weeks into summer holidays and mommy needed a time out!!! I got a babysitter to come over yesterday afternoon so I could go to the studio. I hadn't been there for at least a few weeks and I was suffering from withdrawal. When I got there, however, I was paralyzed (so to speak)- I couldn't start anything! I felt confused, exhausted and rusty. For quite some time I just sat and stared into space. I managed to pull myself together and organize a few things, then I parked it on the couch and had a nap! I was tired for two reasons: 1) three weeks of an entirely different schedule than I am used to in the school year and 2) I woke up at 6:00 a.m. to the sound of a table saw and air nailer. (The house next door to us was bulldozed this spring and a brand new house is being built. Yesterday they started on the new garage). Anyhoo, after my catnap I made myself pull out some oils and this is what I added to the Twenty Minute Challenge painting I posted last time. I obviously added more clouds in subtle grays, blues and whites plus I added brighter greens in the ground (which I think show a bit better in life). I think I am happy with this one and looking at it beside the stormy ones, it is a nice change. 

I made minor tweaks and adjustments on two other paintings, but couldn't muster the gumption to do more than that. I didn't want to waste my freedom so I decided to do an art related errand that wouldn't be fun with kids in tow. I went to Home Depot and got some panels cut! I'm pretty excited to give the boards a try, but they will have to be prepared first. On that note I wanted to put a question out there to any artists that might read this... If I want the colour of the board to show through my paint what would I use to seal the wood? I don't know if I will use acrylic or oil on these panels, so it needs to be a clear primer of sorts that could work with both. If anyone has a thought, tip or idea please leave a note in the comments or feel free to email me.  

6 comments:

Kim Rempel said...

Hi Nicki,
I think I'll be doing boards soon as I am running out of RayMar panels and haven't ordered in time. I bought a clear gesso at Curry's. Worked well. What board are you using? I was thinking masonite and someone also mentioned birch. Don't know if that's easy to get (?) but I'll have to look into it.

Nicki said...

Hi Kim,

Thanks so much... so there is actually such a thing as clear gesso?! That would be an easy solution.

I painted with a really kind man at a workshop last summer and he was using mahogany panels that were prepared with something, but I can't remember what. Rabbit glue actually comes to mind. Anyway, the colour of the mahogany showing through was beautiful. I just bought basic MDF board (1/2 inch thickness) because this will be a new experiment for me. I like the colour, though, and think it could look good showing through. And to top it all off the investment was waaaaay more reasonable than the stretched canvases I have been buying.

Hope you and your family are well,

Nicki

-Don said...

Sounds like a wonderful break to me. Sometimes those trips to the studio are less fulfilling than others, but the things you did during this trip will pay off big-time in future visits.

I like the tweaks you added to your painting. They really make those light blues radiate, emphasizing the break in the clouds nicely.

As for your question, I'm sorry to say I have no experience upon which I can give you any quality input. I look forward to hearing how this new adventure goes for you.

-Don

Nicki said...

Hi Don,

You know what? You are absolutely right! I spun my wheels a bit, but I got some jobs done that needed to get done. It was a perfect day to accomplish those necessities.

I'm glad you like the additions and changes I made- I only wish the subtleties photographed better.

After reading Kim's above comment I realized my favorite art supply store might have just what I need (silly I didn't think of them in the first place). Thank goodness I don't have to mix up my own rabbit skin glue paste! I got something called GAC- 100 made by Golden. Sounds like it is exactly what I was looking for.

Take care,

Nicki

Anonymous said...

Once again Nicki, a killer sky in a bold and original style! As for colors, i found that after using just three colors for a LONG run of studies (Pthalo blue, Alizarin Crimson, and Cad Yellow Light) makes a foundational primary which can adapt well to newly introduced colors on your palette over time.

Keep up your good work and summertime best.

Nicki said...

Hi TJ,

Thank you so much for this encouragement and for inspiring me to try such a limited palette. I think a long run of studies done with a small handful of colours is just what I need!

Nicki