Sunday, July 18, 2010

100 Posts

This is my 100th post! Hard to believe. To celebrate, you will notice, I have a new look to my blog. I was planning to unveil a new look for my one year milestone, but when I was experimenting with the template designs last night I accidentally hit the "apply to blog" button instead of the "preview" button. Oops and... Voila! I couldn't figure out how to undo it so the revamping has happened a little sooner than planned. Next month will be my one year blog anniversary! Wow. I am planning to do something for my Followers - likely a draw for a painting- so if you want to have your name included in that little celebratory event please join sometime between now and August 19. You can become a Follower by clicking on the button to the right- it is very easy, but you do have to make an account (Google, Twitter, etc.-very easy) if you don't already have one. Friends and Family are included in this draw as long as you are a Follower. Please send me an email (nicki.ault@shaw.ca) if you do not want your name to be included in the draw- that is no problem.


For fun, on this 100th post, I thought I would show another side of myself. I used to collect porcelain dolls as a young girl and then when I was in my early twenties I began to learn how to make them. My mom and I would sew the clothes. Eventually my dolls were in a northern gallery for a few seasons. The above doll is "Emily" and she stands about 20" tall. She was the first doll I ever entered in a local competition and she won "First in Category" and "Best in Show". That was a pretty exciting time... and a huge shock.




These other dolls are a little sampling of the ones I loved making. The fairies were so fun (the seated one is about 4" and the standing one is about 6") and this little baby was a hit. I sold more of them than any other. Two versions of this baby (named Sugarbritches) are shown here; eyes closed and eyes open with glass eyes fit in. Sooner or later a few things happened: the cost of this hobby became prohibitive, I didn't have a kiln of my own which made it inconvenient, and I began a career... and John and I got more serious. Life happened and this hobby petered out. I still think about it now and then and, who knows, maybe I will go back to it someday.




As always, thank you for checking in on me!

5 comments:

-Don said...

Well, personally, I'm glad I checked in on you. Your dolls are fantastic! And, I can see why Emily won such prestigious awards. She's gorgeous!

Now, as for this drawing, I tried really hard to delete everyone else off your list here, but alas, I'm going to have to hope for the luck of the draw...

-Don

Artist said...

those dolls are so amazing and of course cute! you should defenitly try and make some more if possible!

Nicki said...

Hi Don,

Thanks... for it all: your kind and encouraging words, your inspiring artwork, your consistent comments and your humour!

Nicki


Hi Artist,

Someday I may try my hand at it again, but for now I must keep my focus on oils and acrylics. That's where my heart is.

Nicki

suzanneberry said...

Nicki, I'm blown away by your work!! I wanted to be a doll maker once upon a time and studied a German doll maker popular at the time. I bought her book and actually made one with cernit, but I cannot sew and making the clothes, hair and shoes frightened me so I gave up. Your work is INCREDIBLE, I am so impressed. Thank you so much for sharing these, they are all stunning, you are so gifted! What fun to look at~

Nicki said...

Hi Suzanne,

How interesting! And thank you so much for your enthusiasm over my dolls. I should say, though, they are wearing mini wigs (which I cut and styled) except for the fairies- those I made out of mohair.

Cernit dolls- I haven't thought about them for years! How cool to find someone with a similar interest from days gone by!

Good luck to you with your limited palette adventure. I'm already thinking about giving up on it! Turns out I really like colour and lots of choices!

Smiles,
Nicki