Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Lessons Learned: Daily Painting Project - Part II

Burning Through (detail)

On Thursday, March 7th I began a Daily Painting Project as a fundraiser for a local Grade Nine program called Collective Voice. I have one son currently in the program and another who went through it two years ago. The fundraiser has gone off like gangbusters! It began as twelve paintings in twelve days, with today being the twelfth day, but at the last minute I decided to add three bonus paintings over three additional days! It is now officially fifteen paintings in fifteen days! Please read more about it all by clicking here.

Before I start each painting, I have been giving myself a goal or challenge or I think about something I would like to learn. Once the painting is complete, I jot down a few notes. I have never done this before, but I find that having this focused intention for each painting and awareness of the lessons learned has been extremely beneficial. It is almost as if it helps things sink in better.

You can read about the lessons from the first six paintings here.

Below are painting numbers seven to twelve, all sold.

Epic Prairie

-  A photo I took last May has been on my mind and I would like to try painting the scene on a large scale because it feels so epic. I decided creating a study to help me think about colour choices and values was a good idea so that is what this 6x6 was all about.






Tender Goodbye

- I have painted several sunset reflections and usually the values range from really dark to really light. The goal here was to keep the darkest colour in the water at a mid-value and then lighten the rest of the colours from there (with the exception of the horizon).

- For fun, I started the painting on a neon pink ground colour and left that zing of colour popping through here and there for energy. I also tried to keep my paint quite thick

Sweeping Rain

- This was all about trying a new way to blend in order to get the misty, foggy, hazy feel of sheets of rain. I began with solid stripes of colour in different proportions from top to bottom, then worked at blending them together with a dry brush






Burning Through

- I rarely do acrylic under-paintings on my 6x6's, but I did with this one. I wanted the magenta colour to show through LOTS to evoke a sense of heat, so the challenge was to keep those strong colours and fight the urge to cover them up as much as I normally might when I go in with oils.

- A big goal here was to NOT PAINT GREEN in this forest!

- This was a good reminder that new, crisp brushes are important to have on hand

Just Beyond The Hill

- The challenge was to combine three different photo references I had on hand in order to create an image of a place I have never been, but have heard about

- I was under pressure time-wise with this one, but I had to get my painting done for the day, so set my timer and worked fast!




The View From Here

- The goal was to create a beautiful sunset using unexpected colours

- I challenged myself to lay in paint and wipe it away, even if I liked how it looked. Repeat. And repeat again. I was curious to see what would happen if colours merged and built up this way. This idea has been on my mind a lot.




Since I have now added three bonus paintings to my project, I will write a "lessons learned" break down in a Part III when they are finished.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Amazing. I am both so impressed with the wonderful work you've done, and
so proud of you for donating all the proceeds to a good cause.

You so rock Nicki!

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

I'm really happy it went so well and so pleased I am able to help a little with the trip.