Sunday, March 3, 2013

Heat

Heat
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2013


Whew! This one put me through H-E-double-hockey-sticks! It is amazing there is such a difference between a 6x6" format and an 8x8" format. I've gotten used to the slightly larger size. I initially tried to put waaaaaay to much information in this one and it just wasn't working. My photo reference had more clouds and a strong reflection of the sun right below the land line... a very glowing white/yellow patch. I tried to get it all in and it was just not happening. I almost scrapped the whole thing but then I decided to try editing. I'm glad I did because I am pleased with the end result. This was most certainly a learning piece, both in composition and colour. I'm glad I struggled through the pain!


Note:  I have decided to begin to include the PayPal "buy" link when I post my 6x6" paintings. This size makes up the majority of the paintings in my Daily Paintworks Gallery; the link will take you there to see the purchase/shipping info. Clicking on this link does not mean you are committing to the purchase of the painting- it just takes you to the spot where more information is available.

4 comments:

suzanneberry said...

beautifully done Nicki! i'm so glad you struggled through, the painting certainly looks like you make it easy.

Barbara Muir said...

well worth the struggle Nicki.

It's gorgeous.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thank you Suzanne and Barbara!

Hugs to you both!
Nicki

Monika Kinner-Whalen (MySweetPrairie) said...

ooooooooooo that is wicked! ; )