Sunday, May 14 - Mother's Day Tea Show and Sale: taking place at Studio On 20th from 12-4p.m. Our studio will be open to the public on this afternoon to exhibit the most current work by artists Bridget Aitken, Nicki Ault, Kathy Bradshaw, Jan Corcoran, Ann Donald, Jane Harington, Miranda Jones, Brenda Kennedy, Karen Maguire, Amira Wasfy and Carol Wylie. We are located at 236A 20th Street Between Aves. B and C (door to the left of the Odd Couple restaurant).

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery in Saskatoon. For a limited time several of my large oil paintings are also available at
their new street front gallery on 21st Street (formally Lifestyles By Darrell Bell Gallery).

Ongoing: a selection of my larger work is available at The Black Spruce Gallery at Northside on Highway 2 just before the turn to Christopher Lake.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Studio Buddy

my studio buddy 
© Nicki Ault, 2017

The plan for the day took a bit of a turn when we woke up yesterday morning and my youngest announced he had a sore throat. I had every intention of sending lunch to school with both my boys so I could take the full day to work on the commission. Painting has been going really well lately and I want to stay in the zone. Anyway, when he said he wasn't feeling well I stopped in my tracks. In my head I heard tires screeching to a halt. Or maybe it was the sound a record makes when someone lifts the needle, but kind of drags it along the record before fully lifting it off. Either way it was a sound you might hear in a cartoon and then silence as I scanned my brain for options. I actually said to myself  "recalculating".

In the end he came to the studio with me for a little while. I decided I to make lemonade from the small batch of lemons his sore throat handed me. We got him all set up with two chairs, a blanket, ginger ale, and his DS (he is under the blanket so he can see the screen better). I figured he could do this on the couch at home or he could do it in my studio. I was able to make a bit more headway on my painting which made me happy. I will have to make up for the lost hours in the coming days. I see some night-time sessions in my future.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

I kept looking for the buddy before I read this. Assuming it would be a cat or dog.
Motherhood eh? It never stops, and that's a good thing.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

That's funny Barbara! No dog or cat... or budgie or hamster, just my son! And, yes, I am A-OK with motherhood never ending!

XO Nicki