Friday, January 13, 2017

Comforting Perch

Comforting Perch
© Wes Schafer

I am extraordinarily grateful to have had a successful Open Studio last November 27. Success, in my mind, comes in several shapes and sizes: new people finding my art and connecting with it, returning clients curious to see what I have been doing lately, kind words of support offered to me from my colleagues, business cards being snapped up so people can watch for my art online, family and friends taking the time to come to yet another show, excited young artists reaching out and engaging with me, and my artwork being bought and finding a forever home. All of these things happened during that six hour stretch of time in November. It was fantastic. 

I made a deal with myself awhile ago that whenever I have good fortune and success shine upon me in the form of art sales, I will save and use a portion of that money to purchase a piece of fine art or craft for my small and humble art collection. After the Open Studio the opportunity came a-knockin' to do just that. I went to an artist reception at Hues Art Supply on December 3 for Wes Schafer who was my drawing instructor for a weekend workshop at the Emma Lake Kenderdine Campus in 2011. Wes had never shown his work publicly before, so I know this day was a big deal for him. I have always admired his skill - he is mostly self taught and in constant pursuit of honing his drawing craft. There were several beautiful drawings of the female figure that I could have happily chosen, but my heart settled on this one and now my home is its forever home!

It is an absolute thrill to have a painting created by my hand be "chosen" by someone and to know that they want to invest their hard-earned money in my art and in me. It is an honour really. I am humbled every time it happens. It is equally an absolute thrill for me to find a piece of original art that I want to own and in return give another artist the thrill of a sale. Spread the love, I say! Sell a little art, buy a little art! It helps make the world go 'round.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Lovely idea Nicki,

I so agree. Happy New Year. A beautiful piece.

XOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

I love buying art! I have a fun little collection. I love this drawing by Wes... I think I may get a different matte cut for it though.

XOXO N.