Wednesday, November 23, 2016

View From The Canoe Revised

View From The Canoe (revised)
24 x 30"
acrylic and oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2016
sold

With the Open Studio looming (it's coming up on Sunday) I have been sorting through older paintings to figure out what I have available to show and what should be removed from the studio quick-like before any possible chance of them being seen. I have quite a pile for removal. This painting, however, presented a challenge... toss or keep? The original was painted in acrylic in 2014 (see below) and I must have liked it at the time because I put it in a show At Hues Art Supply and it was also at the Black Spruce Gallery for awhile.

 View From The Canoe (original)
© Nicki Ault, 2014

Well, two years later I found that it really rubbed me the wrong way! The water was so dark and the colours seemed acidy. The purple underpainting also overpowered things. What was a girl to do? My answer was to paint over it in oils. 

I feel much more satisfied with it now and it will be hanging up somewhere on Sunday. Please come check it out anytime between 11 and 5 at 236A 20th Street W.

No comments: