Monday, March 30, 2015

Tiny Prairie


Tiny Prairie
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2015
http://www.dailypaintworks.com/fineart/nicki-ault/tiny-prairie/364138


I continue to find myself killing a lot of time at the studio. You know what it's like when you can't get down to work... tidying work surfaces, sorting through old canvases, checking Facebook, chatting with studio mates, looking through photos, sighing... a lot. Although I have been struggling with inspiration, I recently rediscovered some photos I took at the Saskatoon Natural Grasslands in the spring a few years ago. There is something about a few of them that have my juices flowing, so I may focus on fields over the next few weeks. Here is a small one I did this past week after an inordinate amount of time procrastinating. As I said to Bridget... once the painting gets underway it is usually a lot of fun, but up until then it can be traumatic!

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Love this Nicki,

You are one of the most prolific painters I know. If this is procrastination -- I say bring it on.

Great painting. Love the loose quality combined with intense vision.
Gorgeous.

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thanks Barbara. I feel like I don't paint a lot- I feel like, and definitely know that I spend more time away from the studio than I do painting at it. It is hard when the kids need me and life is busy in so many other ways. I guess it is good if I seem prolific. I wonder what I could produce if I actually spent the hours at the studio that I wish I could.

Love the work you are doing.

XO Nicki