Monday, August 4, 2014

Living In Harmony

Living In Harmony
6 x 6"
oil on cradled panel

As I was organizing my 6x6's the other day I came across "Living In Harmony" which I painted last summer, but realized I had not posted it on the blog or the Daily Paintworks Gallery. Better late than never I suppose, so here it is.

I have spent almost all of the summers of my life, for some length of time or another, in Waskesiu Lake, Prince Albert National Park. It has changed and grown over the years and is perhaps a bit more commercial than it used to be, but I still love it. It is now a real source of joy to see my children playing and exploring in this environment; we all feel a bit more relaxed and free. The kids are old enough to take off on their bikes and tour around, but they are young enough to still enjoy biking as a family. For two summer seasons as a young adult I lived and worked in Waskesiu. I was a waitress at the golf course restaurant and I LOVED making tips!  The first summer I saved every last penny of my tips which paid for a two month trip to Europe with my sister. The second summer I saved all of my tips and bought furniture for my first apartment. As time unfolds it will be interesting to see if my boys want to work at the lake.

Waskesiu Lake is situated two and a half hours north of Saskatoon, where I live, in the Boreal forest. Both deciduous and evergreen trees grow in the Boreal forest- they live in harmony, so that is where the title for this painting comes from. Clever, eh?

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Beautiful and great post too.

Happy summer!

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Barbara, thanks- you are always so kind.

N. XO