Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Breakwater, Georgian Bay

Breakwater, Georgian Bay
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2014

Last fall, when I went on my painting trip to Georgian Bay with two friends, as we drove to our home-base we were met with a spectacular sky and a glowing late afternoon sun. When the sun peaked through the clouds it lit up the hills and rocks with a luminous golden colour. We stopped at a park right by the water to take some photos and this is where I saw the breakwater all a-glow. A short time later when we were close to the cottage, the light had changed and the clouds shone pink in the setting sun. It was quite the welcome to a week-long adventure in painting.

Our Georgian Bay show is just over three months away, so I will be taking some time over the next little while to make sure I am happy with the paintings I will exhibit. I might do a bit of experimenting on a small scale and then try to get one or two more large works done. What a relief that I actually feel like painting!

4 comments:

cohen labelle said...

Lots of excitement in your landscapes, Nicki. I love what I'm seeing these last few weeks!

Barbara Muir said...

Love this, and the description of how light changes. You are lucky as an artist to not only be observant and appreciative, but to record it beautifully forever!

XOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Marcia,

Thank you kindly- I hope I continue to peak your interest! I hope you are well and finding time to create!

Nicki said...

Barbara, you are right, I do appreciate my surroundings and will never tire of trying to express
through paint all that I see.

Hugs,
Nicki