Thursday, May 22, 2014

Opening

 
Opening
16 x 20 
acrylic on board
© Nicki Ault, 2014

Yesterday I spent the entire day experimenting at the studio. I have been wanting to play with my paints for a long time now, but there have been other priorities. There was also the small detail of a major case of the blues. I'll be honest- the wind was knocked out of my sails and it wasn't pretty. It was tough to get out of bed most days from about December to March. Why? I don't know- it was everything and it was nothing. Winter on the prairies, it's a love-hate relationship. I turned a bit of a corner last month and this month has been even better. I now feel like tapping into some of those emotions to see what might come out.

I went in with no expectations. No plans. No subjects. No reference materials. Just me and my paints. It was good. This painting morphed big-time throughout the day. I switched back and forth between two paintings, but spent more time on this one. It had a definite floral feel at the start, but I didn't want it to look like anything so I began eliminating, painting over and editing. The goal was for it to not look like anything, but when viewing it with fresh eyes on the camera screen, I realized it did look like something. It reminded me of my friend Kim Rempel's abstracts!!! What?! I must have been channeling my inner Rempel because her influence is all over this baby! Over the last year I have been telling her that she has been an inspiration to me because of her no-holds-barred experimental nature. Little did I know the extent of the inspiration.

The title "Opening" comes from the notion that I am trying to open my mind to new ways of painting- both by experimenting with abandon and also by gearing up to try painting more classically (hence the Bargues). I'm all over the place, but you only live once and now that I actually feel like I am among the living I am opening myself up to the possibilities.

6 comments:

Kim Rempel said...

Oh Nicki, I love it! It has so much energy and colour play. I love how you described the process...painting, blocking out, editing... that's exactly it! They take so many turns. Please do more! Thanks for the kind words : ) You really inspire me too. I love my painting of yours and enjoy it every day.
p.s. I really do not know how any of you westerners get through your winters with humour intact! You're a tough lot! : ) Hats off to you.

Flora Doehler said...

Nicki…I love your work…the strength of your painting, your sense of colour, brushstrokes. And now this! It's fabulous…all of the above, but different. That blue one is gorgeous too. I can't wait to see what's coming next. What sizes are these paintings?
Flora

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

Please call me when you're down. This is beautiful, and I think you were channeling. ;-) love it and all you do. I hope you are feeling happier. It was a hard winter!

XOXOXOXOXO

Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Kim,

Yes, it is fun... and a bit daunting! I have to be more regular with my playing/experimenting- I can see that getting in a groove might be helpful!

I love both my paintings of yours... the little brown paper bag has really enthralled me all over again lately.

Nicki said...

Hi Flora, how great to hear from you! Thank you for such lovely comments- I appreciate it. Both paintings are 16 x 20".

Nicki said...

Thank you Barbara, you are so kind. I am feeling better. The heat and sunshine helps... and being able to open a window! You are an inspiration too and when I get to painting people and still lifes/flowers I will channel you!

XO