New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Sunday, November 19, 2017: Studio on 20th Open Studio Art Show and Sale. The studio where I paint will be open to the public from 11 am - 5 pm on this one afternoon only. Current work by our eleven artists will be exhibited and available to purchase. Please come and bring a friend! We are located at 236A 20th Street West (door to the left of the Odd Couple restaurant); not wheelchair accessible.

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Friday, May 9, 2014

Over The Prairies

Over The Prairies
6 x 6"
oil on board

I can't remember the last time I painted a 6x6! Have I even done one this year? My dry spell is slowly waning and it feels good. I spent about six hours at the studio on Wednesday which has been a rare occurrence these days. I hope to change that over the next couple of months before the kids are out of school for the summer. I am also working on a large painting for the Georgian Bay show- it is a version of "Moody on Flat Rock Beach" which sold earlier this year. I am actually painting over the 36 x 48" canvas that I began at Hues Art Supply the day I was there painting before my artist reception. I was not happy with the composition I laid out that day. I turned it upside-down and decided to give it a new life. I hope to leave some of the marks from the previous underpainting showing through the rocky beach.

I cannot tell you how good it feels to be painting again... and to actually feel like painting. I am beginning to feel like my old self and it is a huge relief. I feel rusty, but motivated and anxious for serious inspiration to hit.   

4 comments:

CallingForth said...

sometimes we just plod - sometimes we need to stop and do something entirely different… but I understand the tug to get back to the easel and it is good to hear that your painting urge has resurfaced.

Marcela Strasdas said...

Glad you are painting again, I am sure you will have learned something or a few things during the dry spell, sometimes stuff gets worked out that way! Happy Painting from the West coast!

Nicki said...

Hi Laurel,

Yes, plodding I have done! It feels good to be moving forward at a better clip these days!

Take care,
Nicki

Nicki said...

Hi Marcela,

Thank you. Yes, I think something happened while I was somewhat dormant this winter. If nothing else I finally feel like experimenting with my paints and trying new materials.

Hope all is well out west!