New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

July - October, 2017: A small selection of my work,
courtesy of Darrell Bell Gallery, is available at Boffins restaurant (111 Research Drive, U of S campus).

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Friday, January 13, 2012

Sunlit Meadow

Sunlit Meadow
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2011
sold

The other day I realized I had never put this painting on my blog. It is one of the small boards I did on my plein air painting getaway to Waskesiu Lake, P.A.N.P. this past September. I drove to my favorite painting location within the Park where the Spruce River winds out of the forest into a small clearing by a meadow and picnic area. To get this angle of the glowing grass behind the stand of  Birch trees I had to set up in front of a not-so-scenic part of the picnic area.... the outhouse! The palette is simple, but I think the contrast makes this little piece sing.

6 comments:

suzanneberry said...

in my opinion this is one of your best paintings ever nicki! i am in love with this! is it for sale and how much are you asking?

Nicki said...

Wow, thanks Suzanne!!! It is for sale... I'll email you - I've been wanting to anyway. It is $100.00 and I it's also now in my Daily Paintworks Gallery where it has been getting lots of hits. I am glad I remembered to show it!

Nicki

rahina q.h. said...

Nicki this has a beautiful childlike magic about it! the simplicity in terms of colours work so well with this composition. just special!

Nicki said...

Hi Rahina,

What a great compliment! I like the idea of "childlike magic".

Have a great weekend!

Nicki

Barbara M. said...

Hi Nicki,

I opened this up and was awestruck. So wonderful, the colour, the superb handling of light, the gutsy use of colour. A knock out.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

Thank you, thank you! It is quite a dramatic little piece. The trees started out much lighter with some mauve/gray shades as well (you can still see a bit of that colour at the edges of the trees). Going darker and simpler made a huge difference in the end.

Nicki XO