Saturday, January 21, 2012

Waskesiu Lake at Dusk - slight revamp

Waskesiu Lake at Dusk
(update)
30 x 36"
oil on canvas 
© Nicki Ault, 2012 

I've been living with this painting for a short time and while I was happy with it, I noticed it had darkened once it dried, at least enough that I felt like it needed a bit more energy. I brightened the light areas and punched up the heat in the horizon line. As one of my studio mates said, if you're going to bite off a sunset you may as well go for it! How true! Sunsets are dicey. I often think they should come with a great big slice of cheese... and yet here I found myself painting a big one! I have been tempted to call it "Fromage at Dusk", but in the end I think there is something about the sky, the cloud formations, that keeps this painting from being full-on corny.

   before
© Nicki Ault, 2012 

One other very small change I made (that I think is an improvement) is the touch of warmth I added to the jut of land on the left hand side. The slight reflection of the setting sun really brought this area to life.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of the changes. Let me know in the comments if :

A) the painting has more impact and drama... you say, "thumbs up!"

B) you are indifferent... you say, "whatever!"

C) this painting is now perfect material for a Real Estate agent's calendar... you say, "cheese please!" 

8 comments:

Judy Wood said...

I like the added drama of the stronger tones. I've been admiring the "dark cloudy sky/molten gold" sunset effect on my way home from the barn these days, and I think your revised version carries this off well, and with quite a bit more energy than the first take. I also really like the spots of reflected colour in the water.

Nicki said...

Hi Judy,

I have been living with the revised sky for two days now and I think I am happier with it. I think the added energy of the more intense/hot colours really pushes it to a more powerful level.

Thanks so much for your feedback. Hope you are well.

Nicki

Anon. said...

I do not know whether or not I am on time with the comment.. but your addition to the prior one; sure has added a dimension to it. colors are more aesthetic, specially the yellow tinge at the horizon(pardon me, if it belongs to some other category of color). I will call it a treat for my eyes! :)

Nicki said...

Hi Vatsala,

You are on time and your comment is appreciated! Thank you for taking a moment to let me know your impressions. I'm so pleased that you called this painting "a treat for your eyes".

Thank you and come again,
Nicki

-Don said...

I think you made some wonderful and informed decisions that took a good piece of work to the next level. Kudos for the courage to do so!

-Don

Nicki said...

Hi Don,

Thank you soooo much! Your words mean a lot because I know you liked the first version. I wondered what you would think of the changes I made. I was nervous to touch it because I wasn't unhappy with the work before, but it just didn't "say" what I wanted it to say.

Nicki

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Nicki,

I don't know what makes a sunset cheesy, but I do know that you would never paint such a picture. The painting is delightful, and powerful, and your description of your thoughts as you changed it is wonderful.

I am inspired by everything you do.
Cheese? Okay doubt -- we banish you in 2012. A toast to that.

Love,

Barbara

Nicki said...

Barbara, thank you! I'm pleased with the changes. I have taken so many photos of sunsets in the last year because they are so beautiful... the colours hard to believe at times. They can be almost otherwordly and therefore hard to translate into a painted picture. Maybe this is where abstraction needs to come in to fully express the emotions and wonder felt by this part of nature. Something I am thinking about these days.

I wish I could banish doubt... life would be easier.

Here's to the big question mark that is 2012!

XO Nicki