Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Day The Lake Became The Sea

The Day The Lake Became The Sea
(Waskesiu)
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2011 
sold 

Have I had fun painting these skies! Mmmm. I had been thinking about these reference photos since I took them in the summer on a dark and stormy day. We went to a camp kitchen near the main beach in Waskesiu and had a wiener/marshmallow roast. The wind really picked up and the sky got wild. I kept running down to the beach to get more photos as the weather changed. It really was spectacular. The lake became this crazy green colour and the sky was blue and then purple and then even pink down by the horizon. And the waves! Wow. Waskesiu Lake is not particularly large so it really has to be windy to get decent size waves and these ones were rolling and crashing. If I didn't know better I might have thought it was the ocean.

No comments: