New Representation: my art is now available at the Assiniboia Gallery in Regina! They are located at 2266 Smith Street, a vibrant, bustling part of town.

November 15 - December 31, 2017: Holiday Salon - Small Works Show at Darrell Bell Gallery (street level ), running through the holidays, Darrell and his team have installed a grid of twenty of my 8x8's as well as a small wall of larger pieces at the front of the gallery. Lots of great gift ideas to be found by the many gallery artists on display.

Ongoing: my 8x8" original oil paintings are available exclusively at Darrell Bell Gallery located in the Canada Building in downtown Saskatoon. As well, some of my large oil paintings are now available in this beautiful local gallery.

November 10, 2016: I was interviewed by Daily Paintworks as their Spotlight Artist for a week! Read my interview on the DPW News blog!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Protected Prairie

Protected Prairie
24 x 24"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2011  

private collection

This is another of the large paintings I recently did based on "Prairie Love" which was one of the smaller pieces from the "30 paintings in 30 days" project. Again, I used the same photo, but didn't look at any images of the small painting so I could attack the subject in a fresh way. I am loving the combination of silvery grays, rusty oranges/browns with hits of turquoise. This is painted from another reference photo I took of the protected grasslands in our city almost two years ago in October. The show of colours was spectacular and I must make a point of going back this fall to take more photos. 

As I have been painting these prairie scenes (both small and large) I am becoming more and more aware of who I am as a painter. There was a time I thought I might aspire to high realism, but I am finding that, in fact, I want to paint and I am painting more emotionally. I want react to the mood, the source and subject, the music I am listening to and what is going on inside me at that time. I think that is why, in part, I love painting en plein air because I am emotional and passionate about nature and I can react to it so honestly when I am directly immersed in it. Hmmm, lots to think about.

As an aside...I have added a few albums to my Facebook Fan Page. I'd love it if you popped by and had a look!

5 comments:

Pierre Raby said...

What a gorgeous painting Nicki!

Judy Adamson said...

I love the colours and textures, Nicki!

Barbara M. said...

Love the painting and the whole discussion of how you feel about painting. I seem to move back and forth between loose and not so loose -- depending on the day and project. Your work is always wonderful.

XO Barbara

myrtle said...

WoW! what a brilliant masterpiece.=D
wow account for sale

Nicki said...

Pierre, thank you!



Judy, I love these colours too. It's been fun to dabble in a new palette with these prairie scenes (both large and small).

Nicki



Hi Barbara,

This was a fun one to do. I really enjoyed the foreground, just moving the paint around to create different patterns.

Yes, I will probably always vary in my style a bit, but there was a time that photo realism is where I wanted to head, but I don't feel as strongly about that anymore. Of course I may change my mind yet again!
XO Nicki



Hi Myrtle,

Thank you! I am happy you took the time to stop and leave some words on the last two posts. Stop by anytime!

Nicki