Tuesday, September 17, 2019

View North - Chief Mistawasis Bridge

View North, Chief Mistawasis Bridge
20x20"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2019
available at Darrell Bell Gallery

On this day the sky was everything of which I dream - dramatic, powerful, changing, moody and, of course, beautiful. As I drove around the swale taking photos, I could see building, billowing clouds to the north so it seemed the perfect time to drive across the city's newest bridge, the Chief Mistawasis. The views were spectacular, but, being a bridge and all, there was nowhere to pull over and take photos. I went back and forth across the bridge I don't know how many times trying to memorize the scene. Thinking about it now makes me giggle. I picture it as a cartoon: me in my minivan zipping across one way, then back across the other way, over and over again with a thought bubble above my head of me painting the scene Bob Ross-style. 

It eventually became apparent that I needed to actually stop to take photos; the clouds were too amazing to risk not remembering them. I found a spot on the east side of the river to park/wedge my van and set out across the north side of the bridge. 

The view was even better than I guessed now that I could see beyond the guard rails. The bridge is high and it's an uphill trek to the west side- a good workout! The walkway is wide and there are several really large, semi-circular jut-outs creating wonderful viewpoints along the way. Looking north in the direction of Wanuskewin at the curve of the river, I was surprised at how almost cliff-like the west bank was. With little traffic going by, there were few things to distract my visualizations of untouched land, canoes, buffalo jumps and campfires that may have set the scene many years ago. 

I felt somewhat transported and I hope this painting relates that wonder.


"View North, Chief Mistawasis Bridge" is available at Darrell Bell Gallery and is part of the current group show "Painting The Landscape". As well, the 6x6 study below, "Big Sky Over The South Saskatchewan" (not seen before), will be available at the Saskatchewan Craft Council booth at Art Now this coming weekend in Regina and also in their online store.

Big Sky Over The South Saskatchewan
6x6" (8x8" framed)
oil on board
 Nicki Ault, 2019
available at the Saskatchewan Craft Council
 
 





1 comment:

Bernie said...

I've yet to bike across it but I know it will be spectacular. The river bank seems so untouched up north there (if you can ignore the paint plant!). Glad you didn't paint it in!