Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Ear

The Ear (in progress)
graphite on Stonehenge paper
© Nicki Ault, 2015

I was at Atelier 2302 all day today working on my drawing. It seems like I have been working on it for ages and progress has been slow. It doesn't help that I only go once a week and I can't bring it home with me to work on. After the last two classes, though, I have really begun to see things start to take shape. I spent a good chunk of time working on and filling in that cast shadow; trying to get it to a correct darkness so I can then have a better read of the values within the cast itself. I've also done a bit of work in the light shapes which has begun to give the form volume and dimension. I feel like I am at an exciting stage- there is still plenty to do, but the pieces of the puzzle are actually fitting together!

In other news, I am also going to the atelier on Monday nights for figure drawing sessions. The sessions are not instructed, in fact my teacher, Craig Berry, is in the trenches with us drawing the model. This is going to be a great way to continue to train my eye and strengthen my skills. It is also an opportunity to practice some of the things I have learned at the atelier- like how to build a good construct, how to draw with "ghosty, bandy" lines, how to measure and use alignments and how to define the shadow shape. I can say in all honesty that these concepts were never on my radar before. 

in the sketchbook
graphite on newsprint
© Nicki Ault, 2015

The above drawing is my favorite effort from the sessions so far. In it I can see growth in my thinking and my approach as opposed to how I would have sketched the figure pre-atelier. Sure there is room for more practice and improvement, that will never end, but it is encouraging for me to discover that this old dog can learn some new tricks after all!

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Oh my -- good for you. I love the drawings -- the figure is especially compelling. Now Nicki, you are certainly not an old dog!

No more self bashing in 2015.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

Thank you- I was really happy with the figure, so I am glad you find it compelling. Hopefully there will be more worth sharing in the weeks to come.

Hugs,
N.