Saturday, January 24, 2015

Winter On The South Saskatchewan

Winter On The South Saskatchewan
12 x 12"
oil on cradled panel
© Nicki Ault, 2015
sold

This is my second painting of 2015. I actually painted it with acrylics to begin with and the results created a bit of a yawn-fest. My studio mate, Bridget Aitken, and I agreed that it was a sweet painting but flat and boring. I decided to take the risk of ruining it and went back over it with oils. Luckily the situation improved and the painting was saved from a coat of gesso! Now at least there is some substance to it and some juicy brushstrokes to keep you interested. I'm not sure if they are coming through in the photo, but trust me, there is more oomph to the painting now. I am not sure it will ever dry, however, because there is a good amount of Titanium White in that snowy hillside!

Yesterday, I had a studio visit from two delegates from the Sexual Health Centre "Affairs of the Art" art auction committee. They came to choose two of my paintings to be included in their biannual auction which will be held on Sunday, March 22. I have participated in two previous auctions, so I was pleased to be asked again. They ended up choosing "Winter On The South Saskatchewan" which I had propped in a frame that really suited it. Once it is properly mounted I will try to get a photo of it in the frame.

Rushing Water
30 x 30"
acrylic on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2013

The second painting they chose was "Rushing Water" which is probably my favorite of the seven 30x30" paintings I did from the trip to Georgian Bay.

It should be a really great auction, with artwork to bid on from some terrific local artists including Bridget Aitken, Jan Corcoran, Jane Harington, Miranda Jones, Anne McElroy and Kathy Bradshaw.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Love both paintings so much.

XOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thanks Barbara. The winter scene looks really good in the frame I have for it. I hope they go at the auction and raise a bit of money for the Sexual Health Centre.

XO N.