Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Morning On The Trail

Morning On The Trail: Meewasin
36 x 36"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2012
sold

I have been so side-tracked by the announcement of the closure of the Emma Lake Kenderdine Campus that I have thought of little else. Thank you so much to all of my friends, both cyber and otherwise that have taken a bit of time to learn about this magical place and then sign the petition. I have recognized so many names and truly appreciate the thoughtful comments that have been left in support. An artist, Joanne Bolen, who I met at Kenderdine Campus began the petition last Thursday evening after the news broke and I am so grateful she did. As I sat at my computer on Friday morning feeling utterly helpless I saw a message on my Facebook page from her saying she started the petition. I was so excited because I had something on which I could take action. It is horrible to feel helpless and so out of control where something you love is in danger. Anyway, here is the link to the petition once again:


I will write more about it in the near future, but I must refocus and get ready for the Open Studio that is in, ACK, four sleeps!

I finished this painting the other day. A helpful critique from a friend confirmed that I needed to settle down the bright colours in the top third of the painting because they were bringing the whole thing forward too much. Hopefully I calmed it down enough. I am loving the Meewasin subject and see more in the future- I'm not tired of it yet. I've had interest in this painting already just through the progress shots, so we will see.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

So gorgeous. I love this, and it's a super and hopeful antidote to some of the terrible tragedies going on in the world right now. Nature is the answer -- that and letting nature be.

You inspire me.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Thanks Barbara. I love the idea of art being an antidote. A wonderful thought.

I thought this painting was quite large, but wow, what you are creating right now makes this seem miniature!

XO Nicki