Friday, October 5, 2012

Winter Through The Dogwood

Winter Through The Dogwood
36 x 24"
acrylic and oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2012
sold

Yesterday I hung a new solo show called "Lines and Colours"- a collection of my abstract work at a beautiful, new Chiropractor Clinic in town, Circle Chiropractic. I feel a bit nervous because putting my non-comfort-zone work out there is a bit of a stretch. Some of the work is from the abstract class I took in the summer and the rest of the show is filled out with other abstract reflections and a couple of abstracted landscapes. My friend, artist Bridget Aitken (from the studio where I paint), came to help me hang the work. She is so good at it and has more experience than me, so I always feel I learn something when she is around. 

I was happy with how the show looked when we left; pieces are displayed in the waiting room, hallway and examination/massage therapy rooms. I hope that the energy of these paintings somehow adds to the healing work that is done at this clinic. Obviously most people visiting this place are in discomfort or pain and I hope that as they wait for their appointment they can get lost in the marks, lines and colours of my paintings and maybe forget about their troubles for awhile.

The above painting was just completed, and was still a little wet when it was hung! Using an exercise from the abstract class, I took a section of another painting "Dogwood Arrangement" and enlarged it to make a new composition, then I played! There are some subtle marks and areas I am in love with...







Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Thanksgiving to all of my Canadian friends!

2 comments:

suzanneberry said...

hi nicki! i love this! i love your sense of adventure and desire to grow and learn. this is the direction i'd like to go in and i thank you for the inspiration! beautifully done! good luck on your solo show and congratulations!

and thank you too for your very kind and comforting words. i'm feeling better since i decided to embrace and believe that he is "always with me!" i carry my charm everywhere and think of your kindness often.

and thank you for the birthday wishes for tim.

Nicki said...

Hi Suzanne,

I'm excited to hear that you like this painting. The whole abstract experience was out of my comfort zone, but in a good way. I have a lot to learn, but you are right, I do have that desire to learn and grow. I'd love to see what you might come up with if you pursued this direction. It's exciting to think about.

I wish my words could do more for you, but I am glad to hear they might help in some small way. I truly believe that he IS with you and so there is definitely comfort to be found in that thought. You are an inspiration to me.

Hugs,
Nicki