Thursday, October 11, 2012

View of Meewasin

View of Meewasin
14 x 38"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2012
sold

Three of my paintings are in a "juried" show that that has been organized on behalf of the SOS Elm Coalition in town. It is the twentieth anniversary of their cause and as part of this weekend's celebrations local artists were invited to submit up to three pieces of work for a group show on the theme of trees. By the sounds of things they are expecting a large number of delegates to attend, but it is open to the public as well. I chose two paintings from earlier this year that I felt were suitable and then I painted the above piece specifically for this event. I'm happy they accepted all three. As I said, the show's focus is trees, but more specifically the urban forest, so I thought it was fitting to use our beautiful Meewasin Valley, which runs along the South Saskatchewan River, as the subject for a painting. I feel so lucky to live in such a picturesque city and I am so glad that we have dedicated volunteers working to keep our old, historical trees healthy and preserved.


No comments: