Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Announcing The Upcoming "Family Tree" Show

Good Morning Meewasin
 18 x 24"
oil on canvas
© Nicki Ault, 2012
sold

Hello friends! I am still here! Sorry for the unexpected disappearance. After the Gardenscape show I was completely exhausted. When I woke up on Monday morning I was very stiff and I, unfortunately, made one wrong move while washing my face and put my neck out. Not good! I have been in pain since that time but still had to get through my son's birthday and Easter! The third time to the Chiropractor yesterday was a charm and I am feeling so much better today. It is like a fog has lifted.

Now I have loads of business to tend to and the first on the list is making an announcement about my upcoming show at the beginning of May. I am so excited about it- I just know it will be a highlight of the year for me...

I am doing a show with my Dad!

When my Dad retired several years ago he began turning wood bowls and doing other wood related projects (he makes beautiful wooden wine bottle stoppers). As I began showing my artwork around town he would occasionally say that maybe someday we would have a show together. At first I didn't take him seriously, but then my mom told me she thought it might be on his "bucket list". Well when I heard that I was instantly on a mission to make it happen! We have rented a little gallery space for the weekend of May 5 and 6 and we are putting together a show called "Family Tree". I am doing paintings with the theme of trees and he, of course, will have his beautiful wooden bowls.The icing on the cake is that my sister (who lives down east) will be home in time for this show, so it will really be a family affair (she doesn't know this yet, but we might put her and my other sister to work!)

beautiful wooden bowls by my Dad, Bob Racine

So there you have it... the details for this show are at the top of the blog and all are welcome to attend if you happen to be in Saskatoon that weekend.

* I recently painted the above piece "Good Morning Meewasin" which will be in the show. Meewasin is a beautiful trail that follows both sides of the South Saskatchewan River that flows through Saskatoon. I took the reference photo while standing on the Broadway Bridge looking down toward the trees lining the riverbank. The early morning sun on the autumn foliage was spectacular!

4 comments:

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Oh Nicki that is SO exciting!!! : ) I've been thinking about this show with you and your father, hoping I didn't miss it. How exciting...

I hope you don't mind if I buy your dad's work? : ) wooo I love wood so much.

"Good Morning Meewasin" is an excellent name for such a pretty picture. Don't you find that chosing the right name makes a huge impression on people's choices when they look to buy a painting? I saw the most beautiful work once, but his titles were horrible, ugly and depressing. Big turn off! You are good with titles.

I bet your kids have cool names? haha

see you soon!! Glad you are feeling better.
~Monika

Nicki said...

Hi Monika,

No you haven't missed the show... and I will be giving plenty of reminders! ;)

I don't mind if you buy my Dad's woodwork at all! I think he is going to sell out. I'm excited for him- this is a big deal and I am even feeling like my paintings are beside the point!!! It's going to be a good weekend.

I'm glad you like the title... it was such a glorious morning- a friendly, happy title was needed for the painting.

N.

Barbara Muir said...

Beautiful painting and what a lovely idea. I wish I had exhibited with my Dad when he was alive. What a heartening project.

XO Barbara

Nicki said...

Hi Barbara,

You know, as I have been working on the plans for this show with my Dad, I have been thinking of you. I've had a quiet moment wishing a show like this was something you could do with your Father, too. It is wonderful that you have been able to share some of his art on your blog and to tell stories of the man you remember.

XO Nicki