Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Quirk 2

Quirk 2: An Experimental Sky
6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2012
private collection

It's definitely times like this that I feel nervous to post. Granted I don't have to share this painting- I'm in control of that decision, but the point of this blog is to record my journey as a mom growing up to be the artist she always imagined was inside, so I'm okay with sharing things I'm a bit insecure about. I started off trying to do a small painting of a detail from a larger painting I did last week. It went south fast. I wiped 'er off and the smudges that remained intrigued me, so I experimented... it was intuitive play. What was going to be a bush ended up being a wild sky of sorts. The spontaneity is in the same vein as "Quirk: An Experimental Sky". Today as I was toiling away at the studio over shadow boxes and layout options for the Gardenscapes show, I kept looking at this painting and I determined that I like it. I wish the skiff of bright yellow at the bottom read as well as it does in person. It is one of my favorite parts; it's like a little electric shock.

Speaking of intuitive play, it you have an extra few minutes click this link, it will take you over to my friend Kim's blog and you will see a fantastic painting experiment she did today. I am so proud of her for dropping her inhibitions and just going for it. Not easy to do. As well, I am really relating to her words right now.


Tomorrow evening I will be setting up my "wall" at Gardenscapes... tonight I sorted out my template on brown paper so the hanging should be smooth sailing. I'll just roll it up and store it in case I do the show again next year. Easy peasy.

2 comments:

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

Sweet! neat & pretty. Don't forget labels : )

Nicki said...

Thanks Monika! I am just at the computer now printing up my labels. We must have mind link! I really appreciate you mentoring me on the entire Gardenscapes experience!