Monday, February 13, 2012

They're Here!


If I treat myself to something, one of my favorite things to buy is art supplies. A very close second is art books  and right behind that would be boots! Today an order I made a couple of weeks ago arrived. I am so excited! "Art Models 6: The Female Figure in Shadow and Light" by Maureen Johnson looks fantastic... absolutely beautiful images I'll be able to use for longer drawing studies. It came with a CD which has all of the photos found in the book, but with the added feature of being able to rotate the pose so it can be drawn from all sides. How cool is that? I'm also extremely excited to study "Lucien Freud Paintings" by Robert Hughes. I don't know a lot about Freud but the work of which I am aware is quite remarkable and I am looking forward to learning about his life. Finally the third book, "Seeing is Forgetting the Name of the Thing One Sees" by Lawrence Weschler might be the one I am the most excited about. I stumbled upon it and to be honest it was the one solitary review written about it that sold me. The review was by a representational artist who raved about the increased understanding he had of abstract and conceptual art after reading this book. I've always felt like I don't understand and therefore can't fully appreciate conceptual and non-representational art. I'm hoping this book will shed some light into the cobwebs of my brain and that I will come out the other end feeling much more worldly and clever! If that happens it will have been 17 bucks well spent!

2 comments:

suzanneberry said...

WOW! nicki! this stuff looks great!! i'm the same way. i just LOVE buying stuff like this. please let me know if you like the life drawing set, it looks better than what i bought. might have to check it out! and the third book sounds really interesting! i'd love to know how you like it, it sounds like something that i could use! enjoy everything and i'm looking forward to seeing how it helps.

Nicki said...

Suzanne, thank you for your enthusiasm over my new books! I will let you know what they are like... I never would have known there was such a thing as life model books if it weren't for you. This one is beautiful and I am excited to work from it.

XO Happy Valentine's Day!

Nicki