Wednesday, May 18, 2011

To Places Unknown

#20 - To Places Unknown
(30 paintings in 30 days project)
 6 x 6"
oil on board
© Nicki Ault, 2011 
sold

This painting may look familiar. I used the same reference photo for "Low Spots", and I wanted to try it again with a few changes. I included the trees on the right hand side and added subtle hints of a bit more colour (there is a pale lavender in the road and in the grass). I also added some wispy clouds. I wanted to play with some of these ideas because the larger painting I am doing (based on "Field of Blues") has lost something in the translation to a bigger scale. Now I have a few ideas that may help it along.

The main reason I wanted to do another prairie scene is because this past Saturday I received the kindest email /letter from an old elementary school friend who had found my work online. The way he talked about his reaction to my art was exactly what any artist would want. It made my day. Anyway, he said he loved "Unexpected" and "Low Spots" and that they made him think about driving his motorcycle into the Saskatchewan countryside "to places unknown". And from that a new painting was born with a title all ready to go!

On a side note, my husband and I went to see Shaun Majumder tonight.... H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S! Go see him if he hits your Canadian city.

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Lucky you. Shaun Majumder used to be
in a troop with one of my nephews. My nephew has gone on to be a filmmaker, and Shaun has become famous. So exciting. Love the painting, I was looking forward to it, and I'm so happy to see it here.

XOBarbara

Nicki said...

It was so fun, Barbara, and the opening comedian, Nigel Lawrence, was super funny too.

I have enjoyed these little prairie scenes, so I think there will be more.

I am working on a large abstract reflection right now that I can hardly wait to show you!

XO Nicki